Home / Bonaire / Turtle tagging with TCB 10
Photos from a day's turtle tagging and measuring with Turtle Conservation Bonaire (TCB)
- The wet towel over the head helps keep the turtle calm while it is being measured and tagged
- Me holding the turtle while the carapace is measured
- Exact measurement of the carapace using calipers
- Checking the plastron (underside) for any marks or signs of disease
- Hold it still! Checking for marks or signs of disease
- Weighing the turtle - they can be very heavy. One we weighed was 20kg
- The clean shell of a Hawksbill turtle
- Injecting the PIT (Personal Identification Tag). This can only be read by a scanner run over the turtle, not from a satellite.
- The eye of a turtle. Tumours are sometimes present around the eye of the turtles.
- All done! Ready to be released